Monday, July 12, 2010

UV Awareness

July has been recognized for national UV Awareness. For this reason I encourage you to revisit the following two posts.

http://yourhealtheducator.blogspot.com/2010/04/vitamin-d-sun-good-bad-extra.html

http://yourhealtheducator.blogspot.com/2009/06/suncsreen-vitamin-d-and-skin-cancer.html

I also bring this to your attention with renewed interest as one of my friends, and a loyal reader, recently saw a dermatologist who emphasized much of what was said in the above posts.

Ultraviolet radiation from the sun reaches us in both UVA and UVB rays. Though they do not penetrate the skin at the same intensity, they are both cancer causing and both can lead to premature or accelerated aging and they damage our eyes. When choosing a product for protection, whether its a lotion, lip balm, window or tee shirt, there are certain terms, numbers and chemicals that are considered necessary for adequate coverage.

For example:
The Skin Cancer Foundation suggests that we look for a "sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher, plus some combination of the following UVA-screening ingredients: stabilized a avobenzone, ecamsule (a.k.a. Mexoryl™), oxybenzone, titanium dioxide, and zinc oxide."

SPF is the term used to let you know how long the product will keep the skin protected from reddening. When your skin begins to redden you are putting yourself at risk for DNA damage which can effect aging acceleration and cancer incidence. My friend Melanie shared that her physician encouraged the use of sunblock over sunscreen. The Skin Cancer Foundation has recommendations for both. The SCF website can provide the information you need to choose a product and they have a good sized list of products that have their seal of approval.

I expect to spend some time with the lists and the many categories for choosing my skin protection and my glasses. I may even consider upgrading my hat. I want you to go to their website because they are they experts, not me.

OK - get on that - protect your skin now- you will be glad that you did!



No comments: