Monday, July 5, 2010

Cookies and Milk

Yes - I said cookies and milk - such a shock you had to read the post eh?

It is hard to believe that the Got Milk campaign has been in place for about 17 years now. It is certainly one of the most recognized promotions. Sometimes we forget that it is really a commercial intended to get people to spend money. That is right. It is not really a health campaign. Dairy products have a place in our diet and calcium is a nutrient that we need in order to keep our bones strong, however, milk is not the only source of calcium. Milk can be high in fat and calories, so fat free is the best choice. I am not anti milk and do have a cup of skim a day, along with cheese and yogurt on many days – but again, the fat free versions.

Now I have something to tell you about the next move by the National Milk Processors and I don’t want you to get upset with me. The group is teaming up with Nabisco to have a little contest. This is going to be a Got Milk and Cookies contest. I do think it is cute and I think you could be on TV or something if you win – but you have to sign up on Facebook. However… because I am Deirdre and I write this blog with all of my opinions unfiltered, radical as they may be – I have to say this. With a national obesity crisis that has our health and nutrition experts, the First Lady, a former US president AND a former US governor calling for moderation of sweets and an increase in fruits and vegetables – isn’t this kind of um…. reckless?

No comments: