Thursday, July 8, 2010

Who's Watching

There are many things that we might do to keep ourselves and our environment safe. The reasons that we do them are not always them same and in reviewing our own motivations and observing the behavior of others, much can be learned.

These are fascinating concepts to me as I am, by education, someone who works to impact the behavior of others, and by others I mean groups - communities-populations. The great child development expert, Piaget, began his research by observing his own child. Observation is not a clinical study but it certainly gives research minded people a place to form their hypothesis.

The behavioral theories that I appreciate the most are not so differentiated in my mind anymore as the constructs that I believe in now run together into one planning theme. You may remember my key concepts from past posts. They are relevancy, threat, self- and behavior(tool/new skill)-efficacy, social norming, obstacles and more recently I have been considering intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. Besides belief in ones ability to do something and the strength of that something to have a positive (or remove a negative) impact, why is a person doing something? Does the incentive come from inside or outside or both.

Here are some things people may or may not do or use:
seat belts
bicycle helmets
motorcycle helmets
sunscreen and the like
goggles (eye protection)
condoms
recycling
vaccines

pool showers

Pool showers! Yes that is the behavior that inspired this deeper blog discussion. We are told to shower before we enter a public pool or hot tub and less often, to shower after we leave them. I believe that the reason we are supposed to shower first is to remove our perfumes and lotions as they are bad for the pool and or can cause a reaction on our own skin if they mix with the water chemicals. I know from personal experience and have been told by - well I cannot remember - I want to say my doctor told me but I really think it was a massage therapist- that the chemicals from the pool or hot tub - are absorbed into our skin. Makes sense, isn't that why we soak in Epsom salt? So I ALWAYS shower after but I only shower before if other people are at the pool area. What does that say about me? Apparently, I believe in the second concept but not the first. Or I do not think that the first really is RELEVANT to me as I don't usually lotion up and put on perfume before going to the pool. I do want to set a good example though and/or am afraid I will appear thoughtless if I don't shower first, so I do if people are around. The before is apparently extrinsically motivated and the after is intrinsic. I believe that the chemicals will harm me and I believe that a shower immediately after will get them off of me.

What are some things that you do regardless of being watched compared to when you are watched? Do you always recycle? Do you only where a helmet if kids are around? ETC -

1 comment:

Day Old Coffee said...

I used to watch a big, hairy neighbor of mine routinely jump in the pool after his daily (intense) workout. He never showered before jumping in - the pool was like his personal bath. Not wanting to swim in his sweat, I was spoiled on the whole concept of public pools. That, and the whole idea of kids peeing in them... ewww...

As for what I do - I've become very self conscious lately, so I'm not sure there is anything I do (or don't do) only when others are watching... if you've ever seen me miss something, let me know!!!