Friday, November 4, 2011

Problems with the NSLP Upgrade

Here is an update on the National School Lunch Program and the recommendations highlighted in this past post.

Efforts to align the meals with the DGA 2010 - i.e. more fruits, vegetables and whole grains, with limits on sat fat, trans fat, sodium, starchy foods, sugar and calories has hit some 'unbelievable'  or perhaps it is 'unconscionable' snags.

The US Congress, lobbyists and industry are trying to stop the improvements.  I had been planning to share the details with you as soon as I had more time.  Instead, I will let this news story do the work for me.  It was part of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundations News Digest that I received today.

Click here for the New York Times story on the school lunch program overhaul and the debate that could weaken it.

No comments: