Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Active Kids - In an Inactive Environment

I visited a school today that is going to be able to participate in the childhood obesity prevention program that I have often written about with much praise.  CATCH.  CATCH was originally an intervention meant to prevent cardiovascular disease in children or to prevent the risk factors so that they would not get heart disease as young adults.  It was implemented and tested in schools throughout the country in the 1990s.
It is now called the Coordinated Approach to Childhood Health.  It is even in place in other countries, such as Ireland.

The program has several components.  There is a classroom curriculum, Go for Health, an exercise component, CATCH PE, a lunch room intervention, Eat Smart and a family or community element.  Of course, the children learn about Go Slow Whoa which is the very basic concept of the multiple traffic light labeling.  [you knew there had to be something in here about what I have been up to the last month]

 I visited the school today and as I was leaving, one class was outside in the parking lot - cement - playing kickball in the direct sun of over 90 degrees.  They do not have a playing field.  They were having fun, running, chasing, laughing (and also hanging out under the few trees that were available) and I felt proud of them.  I also observed their lunchtime.  It was a very informative visit and I am excited to be working with them this fall.  I always joke that kids are "evil" but put me in the same room with them, and it tends to warm my heart.  (some exceptions exist :))

No comments: