Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Plenty of Foot Room

I am blissfully busy everyone :)  I am doing exactly what I have wanted to do for the last seven or more years... it is very awesome.
I am studying very specific areas of the energy intake side of obesity and chronic disease and writing proposals and overviews, as you know.  I do want to check out this new "my plate" icon which is taking over for the Food Pyramid as I am sure it will be relevant to what types of things we want to put on our  front of pack labels, but it will have to wait a little longer.  I do think that "my plate" sounds silly but I better give it a look - and as a matter of fact, I had an email from Med scape and Web MD today which offers this very cool poster of the plate and how to use it with your family.  I guess it could be something fun to use with children. 

My professor and I are almost finished with the bicycle helmet use study article  and I am having fun making tables of our data.

I am scheduled to present a lunch and learn for a company next week so I will have to take a break from my label/menu paper and readings to work on that.  It should be fun though - it is about worksite wellness - staying active etc.

All this being said - I might be absent from the blog far more than I like -

Today I ran across something, however, that I knew I would have to log on and tell you about - but it seems I always want to say more than I thought I wanted to say once I start writing.

I was at a community meeting today and they had a silent auction fund raiser.  One of my friends bid on and won a scale - a body weight scale.  It was not a digital scale but the kind with a dial.  The reason it caught my attention was what it said on the box.  Actually there were two things.  What caught my eye first were the words "super sized" and then I saw "plenty of foot room." 
Oh here - I found the language on line:
"Super-sized platform provides plenty of foot room and a comfortable soft touch mat."
Basically I took from this that we now weigh more than our traditional scales can handle and they have had to super size right along with us.  I bet I could do a little review and learn that over the years the upper limits on our scales have also been adjusted - I could, and then I would not be doing all the things I just said I needed to do!  For fun though, we should find old scales and compare the highest number on those to the ones currently for sale.. at least check your parents' houses for some old ones... I am super curious.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... I would have taken that wording to mean our FEET are bigger. Even with my size 7.5 feet, I've found some scales that my feet barely fit. Interesting ...
LA

deedeeski said...

are you saying that you want a supersized scale for your birthday?
I was thinking this sounded like a car or ailine add - more foot room?

Anonymous said...

Yep, just "super size me!" (And I would like fries and a shake with that as well! ha, ha!)
LA