Sunday, June 19, 2011

Odds and Ends

Tobacco Free Parks - today there was a festival in the parks across from my home. It was in celebration of the summer solstice.  I did not realize that fairies were part of the solstice, but young and old patrons, were dressed in fairy- like accouterments, including wings and glitter.  The festival had many vendors and events, such as dancing and music.  It also brought many persons to the park and arboretum that may not usually visit. All of our parks have tobacco related signage. Our parks are tobacco free - "for the health of our youth."  Today I saw more smoking in the parks than ever before - - and most of the people smoking were YOUTH.  [as the percent of adults who smoke decreases (quitting and dying), the tobacco companies ramp up their efforts to market the coolness of smoking to our children]

Marshmallow Madness - for heaven's sakes - did anyone see Stephen Colbert eating marshmallows this week - it was crazy - he was spoofing the research on delayed gratification - he even dipped some of the marshmallows in marshmallow fluff!  I am hoping that he had props that included low or no sugar marshmallows - can you imagine!  I got a headache just watching....   Of course, when I went shopping this weekend I seemed to run into marshmallow displays at the end of every isle.  They now have jumbo marshmallows - 90 cals each - I forgot to look at the sugar grams but are they anything BUT sugar??  IF so, that would be 22 grams of sugar per puff.

Discipline -  check out this picture that someone posted on FaceBook .  Sorry you can't really read the words, but it is about the need to work for results.
I always say - most people who look like they can eat anything or don't have to exercise (like Ex is a bad thing!) are the ones that Do exercise and Don't eat everything in sight - discipline people - its the only thing that will get you where you want to be. 

TEI/TEE  -   Reading a few research articles that are incredibly over my head  - the mathematical equations are intense.  The point of  researcher K Hall, however, is that we have a steady state of weight based on our total energy intake and total energy expenditure.  We burn a certain amount of calories every day based on several factors NOT counting any exercise. We burn these calories in large part based on what we weigh (fat mass and fat free mass), but what we have to keep in mind is that when we work to change our weight to a lower level - we have to treat this new body for what it is - Leaner.  If you continue to eat the amount of calories that sustained your former weight - you will return to that weight.  This is NOT because you have a set point and "oh well, guess you should just weigh too much", but because you have a new weight that requires less calories.  Think about this  and then do not despair because if you choose the right foods, eating less does not have to mean eating less at all.  (I promise!)

FOP Frustration- I was shopping at a place called Earth Fare which is similar to Whole Foods.  I only go to these pricier stores to purchase items that are not available at a local grocer. I wanted to try a new meat alternative and was looking into the frozen food display.  Many of the products had nutrient and calorie information on the front of the package.  I could see this information on some but not all of the products.  I became increasingly frustrated as even some of the same brands chose to post different things.  In order to make the best choice, a customer has to open the freezer case and turn the boxes over.  It seemed that any of the patties that had more than 100 calories each were the ones that did not have the calories listed on the front of the pack.  I am increasingly aware of why standardization of FOP systems are necessary.  Not only does haphazard labeling cause the consumer to take more time or give up on making an informed decision, but opening the cases wastes energy.

Almond Milk - Recently I made a comment about naturally occurring and added sugar in milk.  The added sugar coming from flavoring. [that is why school lunches will be able to have 1% milk that is unflavored but only skim milk that is flavored - trying to balance fat and sugar as it increases calories] but what I wanted to say today was that I noticed that my Almond Milk has 0 grams of sugar - none added none intrinsic.  Very cool - which is why it has 40 calories per cup and skim milk has 90 :)

Popcorn Hint - if you have seen my You Tube video titled, "all in a day" you have literally seen me prepare all the mini meals I consumed that one day.  In the video I end with the worlds largest bowl of popcorn.  Okay, 1/3 cup of dry popcorn, air popped.   I spray the popcorn with water and sprinkle salt on the popcorn. [note that some people should avoid excess sodium/salt] I had been topping my popcorn with 1 teaspoon of olive oil (heart healthy fat) as well.    I have changed that to using only 1/2 tsp of oil and a whole tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.  It is a great topping with far less calories (20) than a tablespoon of butter (120).

No comments: