Friday, June 17, 2011

Trials and Tribulations of Bicycling

Here are some interesting and sometimes harrowing experiences from recent transportation/fitness related trips on my bicycle.
Notwithstanding the times that the bike lanes or the green way trail suddenly came to an end - or my fool hardy trip to the farmers market last weekend...

One morning this week, I ventured out to the dirt trail that I like to run on, (the one I found on the bicycle trip during which I became lost)  I was stopped at a traffic light when a group of real cyclists came up behind me. I think there were two or three men and one woman.  The man closest to me and maybe in his late 50 or 60s, said something nice that I didn't quite hear, but he was smiling.  Then he asked if anyone had pushed the cross the street button - I had not.  He or his friend said something about the nice morning that was cooler than usual - oh because I had on a hoodie jacket - and I said it really was not so great because my nose was running and my eyes were tearing terribly - to which the woman responded in kind.  Then my new friend remarked again about the traffic light, saying that it would never change for us - I said, that I would go push it.  He asked about holding my bike as I stepped off - but I used my kickstand to which he pretty much said, "OH look a kick stand!"  Whatever - I replied, "Hey - at least I am out here!  Besides I am just going to run, I am not a real cyclist."  Then the light turned and they rode swiftly away, up the hill telling me to enjoy my run!  Funny, none of their bikes had baskets.....

That was the fun part, the challenges were related to bike lane abuses.  I found a picture in case you are not sure what I mean by a bike lane and which type of bike lane i typically ride in.  Some states and other countries have much safer bicycle lanes that include raised mediums to protect the rider.
I am now ever vigilant about parked cars.  For the most part, the people in my city have gotten used to the idea that bike lanes are not parking places, but on some streets there is room to park to the right of them.  One of my classmates heard of someone getting badly injured when a car door opened on her as she was riding in the bike lane.  Thus, I watch closely for people in parked cars.  

There are people who drive on and over the bike lane line and real fools, including city bus drivers, who think the bike lane is a turn lane.  

This week I came across two bike lane obstacles when I was on a rather busy road.  The first was a big work utility truck parked in the bike lane and the other was a road work sign - really - the big diamond shaped orange road sign - in the bicycle lane.  I thought the point of the signs was to improve safety not increase risk.
So take a look at the picture of the girl below - (wearing her helmet)  - imagine that a large truck, sign or parked car is in the lane in front of her - she would be forced left into the traffic - also note that the vehicle approaching would likely hit her.  Even without an obstacle it could swerve right at the littlest distraction.  I vote for safer bike lanes!

www.pedbikeimages.org / photographer name

No comments: