Thursday, June 2, 2011

Phases and Rule Making (informed eating initiatives)

It seems that the deeper I get into my paper, the one I am writing for no real reason except that I think that it will help me accomplish some of my goals - oh that is a good reason, isn't it?  Well, I am nearing the end, but realize that I need to become more familiar with one of the reports that has been released regarding front of pack labeling in this country. 

I did want to tell you these two things so that you know where "we" are with regard to menu/vending labeling and package front signposting, or FOP labeling.

I may have said this already, but in regards to menu and vending machine calorie content disclosure mandated by the Affordable Care Act, the FDA will continue to take comments and expects to have a final rule for the establishments/operators by the end of this year.  Once they have the final rule(guidance) in place, the restaurants will have six months to comply.  The vending machine companies will have one year.  The rule will say, among other things, what has to be on the signs; just calories, or other nutrient info as well.

The front of pack initiative is being driven by a congressional directive as well.  At this time, the Institute of Medicine is completing Phase II of their two phase task.  The report from Phase I has been published.  That is the report I need to spend more time reviewing as it does come with a number of "conclusions."  Those conclusions regard whether it makes sense to have a FOP standard, what should be included in the symbol, who the label should be for, and such.  In Phase II the different types of sign posts and the working criteria the IOM has in place will be tested with consumers.  Part of the initiative involves consumer ease of use, preference and comprehension of the new labeling .  In fact, the letter that the director of  Office of Nutrition, Labeling and Dietary Supplements sent to food providers is available here
I called the IOM this week and they assured me that NO one was going to be privy to early results or leanings on which symbol they'd recommend (i.e. the multiple traffic light), but that the report on this research and recommendations to go forward should come out this fall.

Today I had a very productive meeting with the university vending machine contract director (head honcho) and we are a go for some type of machine initiative on campus that is related to informed eating.  I am very jazzed about this :)

No comments: