Friday, December 16, 2011

Health Risks of Excess Fat

I came across a graphic that shows the outline of a body of a child next to a body of an adult.  Each figure is surrounded by text boxes with headers like lungs, throat, legs, etc and in the boxes are the risks associated with being overweight or obese for that particular body part or organ.  

The health problems of the child often carry over to the adult and are worse over time.  The bottom of the chart shows an arrow going from the words children to adults.  There is states that childhood obesity predicts adult health risks.  This information is similar to that found in the study I talked about a few days ago.  In fact, it was probably the references in that article that helped me to find this chart.  However, I cannot find it again.  I have only my one printed copy.

I wanted to make a note of the health risks for the people who continue to minimize the outcomes of being overweight or obese.  Remember, the good of the country is very much tied to the health of its people.  The public health.

I used the information in the handout to make the table below.  The graphic is attributed to Drs. Ann Prentice and Susan Jebb who are with an organization called Human Nutrition Research in the UK.  I found the authors on line, just not the document. If you are curious, here is the website

My table doesn't include the citations that the scientists included with the risk factors.  Everything in the table is associated with a research study, but I did not list them.

In the table, if a person has a greater risk, it means greater than someone who is not overweight or obese.  (I could have done a better job on this, but I really need to be packing for my trip to Florida in the morning, so sorry)
 
Children
Adults
  Obese females have 3x the risk of asthma
  Obese adults have 85% higher risk of asthma
  3x risk of hypertension
  6x the risk of hypertension
  77% of obese children have fatty liver disease
  76% of obese adults have fatty liver disease
  Overweight and obese children have lower QOL scores
  More than 4x higher depression
  20% have sleep problems related to breathing
  Most obese adults have chronic obs. sleep apnea
  30% of overweight and 50% of obese have metabolic syndrome
  7x the risk of diabetes for the morbidly obese

  93% higher risk for colon cancer
  Increase in type 2 diabetes in all children
  Twice the risk of breast cancer
 7% higher risk of fractures
  More than 4x greater chance of arthritis
  Increase in kidney impairment
  Losing weight returns ovulation to normal in many
  Decreased tolerance for exercise
  Higher risk for all cancer except, brain, lung, bladder and stomach

  Lower sperm counts in obese males

 

No comments: