Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Misleading Skinny Cocktail

I went to a small get together at a classmate's home this evening.  She wanted to gather us together outside of the university to enjoy each other and to see the first season of the PBS show Downton Abbey.  She enticed us with healthy foods and Skinny Margaritas.  Some interesting things about this cocktail brand.  1)I think there is a lawsuit out because of false advertising - but it isn't really false.  It says All Natural on the label and as you know by now, that really means nothing.  So, I am not concerned with that. 
2) I am concerned with the hype about the drink mix being low calorie. You see - it is a mix - a cocktail in a bottle. The label serving size is 1.5 ounces.  That amount of drink (basically a shot glass full) contains just under 40 calories.  Okay - YES - 40 is much less than the 100 calories in 1.5 ounces of liquor - however, it is not pure liquor.  A 4 ounce serving of the cocktail would have a 100 calories.  I noticed my friends' glasses had 6- 8 ounces each.  They may have had 12 to 16 (ounces) total.  A 4 ounce glass of wine also has 100 calories.  A 12 ounce light beer has 100 calories.  A shot of whisky/liquor adds 100 calories to a calorie free 12 ounce soda  - now THAT is a skinny drink.


But I did bring along a snack tray - happy to have a chance to use my beautiful tulip platter.  A gift from my sister.


chocolate cake squares, vegetarian egg rolls, hummus and pepper slices



No comments: