Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Calories Vs Nutrients

Just thought I better make this clarifying point because I do not want to misrepresent my own knowledge and beliefs.

I am trying to make a clear distinction between factors that impact weight and those that impact health - of course there can be overlap.

But as I have said before a calorie is a calorie. Too many of them lead to weight gain, just the right amount will maintain a weight and less than is needed should lead to weight loss. Weight alone is NOT an adequate indicator of HEALTH. If one eats a pretty safe 1700 calories a day - their weight should be stable (many things considered) but if they are 1700 calories of steak - high cholesterol and subsequent problems could follow. IF they are all sugar calories, then insulin resistance and eventually diabetes may follow.

If a person eats 1700 calories of plant based foods and good fats, but never exercises, they could still be at risk for certain cancers.

With my research, I intend to point out that weight control is related to calories more than anything else and that point needs to be clear in the messages we (public health experts) send.

No comments: