Saturday, September 4, 2010

Now it Matters, but Not So Much

First do let me update on the Timewarner Cable saga that has become my life. A tech was here last Sunday for an hour or so, same problem as the last time a tech was here for an hour or so and this guy scheduled ANOTHER tech for this day. So all my weekends since moving to NC have involved one day waiting for a TWC tech to come to my house. At 4pm, the 130-330 slot had gone by. I called and was told "OH, they were supposed to tell you it is the pm slot 12-530. But we will give you a 20 dollar credit" AND Juliette said, "I will have the tech call you." He/She never called and at 7 PM I contacted Pearl - who gave me a 20 dollar credit and at 730 dispatch called to say, "sorry, but he should be there around 8:30 PM or so." Are you kidding me? I spent the whole day captive and the night too. Never mind! And she asked about rescheduling to which I replied, "I am sorry, but I think I have had all the TWC help I can stand." I am stuck with them for Internet, but I am cancelling my TV on Tuesday.

Health Note:

I cannot find the news story that caught my attention last night, but that is okay who has time for all this WORK. It was, however, regarding humanpapilloma virus and oral cancer, specifically throat cancer. There is growing incidence of oral (and throat) cancer from HPV and the course of disease is rather different than throat cancer from tobacco. BTW, oral cancer from this sexually transmitted virus effects both sexes - we more often think of cervical cancer in relation to HPV and men of course, do not have a cervix, but we all have a mouth and throat.

The news story was more about why the HPV vaccine makers are not interested in pursuing a prevention for oral cancer. Reasons offered included the cost of getting FDA approval to market for it - and Gardasil was mentioned in the article. I am not a fan of the vaccine, but I cannot give you a sound argument against it. What I did recall last night is that there IS an HPV vaccine that addresses oral cancer. I also remember talking about it in this blog, mocking it, and then coming back to say "OH, HPV can cause oral cancer, now I get it." Here is the post in which I mentioned the particular vaccine that could prevent some oral cancer. Thus, I am confused about the article I read last night!

No comments: