Saturday, September 11, 2010

Electronic Cigarettes Revisited

I had the chance to open a newspaper this week. Actually, I keep putting a hold on the paper and then letting it start again only to realize that I still do not have time to read it.

I am glad that I opened it yesterday, it being the Wall St Journal, because there was an update on a topic I have often educated on. The electronic cigarette. The e cigarette is a devise that is sold on line and at mall kiosks. A battery heats up the a liquid cartridge of nicotineand then releases a vapor.


When I last spoke about it, I noted that if the e - cigarette is either a new tobacco product or a nicotine delivery device. It clearly is the second of the two and in that case it is a drug. The FDA has long been the agency to regulate the sale of drugs (1938) and in so doing, they mandate that clinical trials be completed and approval granted before a drug can be sold.

There are five known electronic cigarette peddlers and they have all received letters from the FDA warning them that they are in violation of the law and MUST present the safety data on these devices.

I personally know several people who own these. They know my feelings against them - namely , there are no clinical trials for me to review which would attest to safety and efficacy. I recall telling these same people a few months ago, that the devices WOULD be pulled from the shelves so they better get all the supplies they could.

No comments: