Saturday, September 10, 2011

Volunteerism and Its Unitended Benefits

According to Wikipedia a greenway is a long, narrow piece of land, often used for recreation and pedestrian and bicycle user traffic.  The city where I live has several greenways and hopes to connect them in the future.

Today there was a fundraiser for the Downtown Greenway Maintenance Endowment Fund.  A 1 mile fun run/walk and an 8K race were held (with a festive after party).  I volunteered to help with participant registration.  I choose this event for volunteering because I use the greenways for physical activity and transportation (but do not have money to spend on races these days).  I think that greenways are very much needed in every community in order to increase access to safe physical activity and alternative modes of transportation.

While I was volunteering this afternoon, two of my professors (both on my planning committee no less) came to register or pick up their packets.  The professor that is funding my assistantship came with his wife and children (AWESOME).  I also saw two persons with whom I have collaborated on community projects (the food desert produce market)!

This sort of unexpected face time has significant value .

Before the race got underway, the Greensboro SlutWalk which I mentioned a few days ago in this post, took place.  Another opportune moment in the two hours I took away from my studies.  I even saw one of my own students marching with the group.

Only a few of the participants were dressed in what some might consider slutty attire.  I thought they looked more like punk rockers (having once been one).  The group used a few chants and signs.  I cannot remember any in full detail.  Something like "gay, straight, bi - yes means yes no means no", and "this is what democracy looks like" and "it's a dress not a yes."

I was very glad that I had seen the flyer and learned more about the issue on line because when people near to me did not know what it was about - "just a protest"  - I was able to enlighten them :)

I think that my two hours away from the computer were well spent today :)  Not counting the hour walk with my gal pal and my trip to the grocery store.

No comments: