Saturday, October 16, 2010

Changes for RA

Nope - not rheumatoid arthritis - Reynolds American.

In the past I have written about new smokeless tobacco (SLT) products - the newest are the Strips, Sticks and Orbs that have been created by Reynolds American. In this blog or in my presentations, I have commented that the CEO of Reynolds American - who has been pursuing SLT as a new revenue stream, was fond of the tobacco strips. The strips are similar to the breath strips that melt on ones tongue, except these contain nicotine.

I am not sure if Ms. Ivey, the CEO, really likes these products (might just be what she needs to say) but if she is using them instead of smoking, she's at least reducing her risk of lung cancer.

I bring this all up today because she is stepping down from Reynold's American after 30 years in tobacco. The company, according to the WSJ, is doing very well and that may be due to acquisitions and new products. On Friday, the stock was valued at over 60 dollars.

This link should give you a list of posts by me regarding some of the issues related to smokeless tobacco products. I am ambivalent on most SLT but unequivocally oppose cigarettes and smoking.

No comments: