Sunday, October 3, 2010

Odds and Ends

So happy that I had a few minutes today to put a list of O&E together, and glad that the NYG are about to play a game on NBCs Sunday Night Football, because NBC airs those Sunday night games live on line, and I am appreciative to blog reader Jess for the tip on freezing your own strawberries -

Slogans - heard on CNBC this week but relevant to my current research paper - America lives by slogans. What the slogan says is what we believe. So when the slogans coming from the government on health promotion are, "Let's Move" or "Fruits and Veggies.. More Matters", those are the things we try to do. However, if we are eating too many calories or consuming only pineapples, bananas, and avocado, the obesity epidemic will continue.

Donuts - One of my FaceBook friends posted a link about the Krispy Kreme burger. Apparently, this is making the state fair tour and is in NC at this time. Totally gross - most people admit - yuck, a burger between glazed donuts - 1000 calories of fun.

Avandia - This newer diabetes drug has been in the news for most of the year. It appears to significantly increase the risk of heart attack or stroke for persons who take it. There are already medications on the market that are as effective as this drug. The FDA has completed its review and has limited access to the drug. In Europe the drug was banned out right. Do they know something we don't? Do they care more? Are they less influenced by pharmaceutical lobbying? Obesity is a risk factor for diabetes, if you are overweight now - try limiting your calories just a bit. Losing weight is usually safer than taking a medication for a disease - though when you have the disease, medication may be your only option.

Heard and Appreciated - So happy to tell you what I heard at the Student Rec Center this afternoon. First, I went to the gym at Noon because that is when it opens on Sunday and usually the free weight room is empty. Usually - HA , I think I went one time at 12 and it was empty so I ASSUMED - anyways, it was not empty - it was full of 20 something year old guys. Anyway, these two young men were doing bench presses and I was very near by. I do not think that they really knew each other, but that the one was spotting the other. I heard one young man say that he was a basketball player. He was tall, but he was a little broader and muscular than many young basketball players. I believe he told his buddy that he had also played football. The young man doing all the lifting said that he had transferred to my school from NC State and that he did miss his friends and such, but "I had to do what was best for me on the court and IN THE CLASSROOM." He said something also about how he needed a good education and his degree. The other fellow said similar things. I was smiling, because - well that is AWESOME. The spotter looked up and met my eyes as I was smiling so I said, "it is so cool to hear you guys say that." I am sure he thought I was faculty anyways as I am old enough to be his Mum.

Letterman NO - Cannot believe Dave "smoked" an electronic cigarette on his show this past week. Wish the FDA would get moving on those things.

No comments: