Friday, October 8, 2010

EBT Cards and Soda

The big debate these days is whether or not NYC has the right to prevent people from buying soda or any other food or beverage with their food stamps. (In case you didn't know, most states do not actually use stamps anymore. People who receive this needs based stipend actually get an electronic benefit transfer card - or EBT)

The problem with soda and the attempts to do something about it policy wise have been discussed in past posts. One notes a PSA from NYC and another is in regard to the NYC Health Commissioners attempt to raise the tax on soda. This same health commissioner is working with Mayor Bloomberg in the current soda initiative.

The USDA has to approve restrictions on food stamp purchases. Some people are concerned that this might set a precedent but I am hopeful that it will!
I knew that people on foods stamps could not buy non food items, or alcohol or tobacco, but I hadn't realized that there are NO nutrition restrictions.

Many popular press articles are discussing this NYC proposal so I won't rehash them here. I will say that Bloomberg and Farley are wise to suggest that this is a temporary intervention that can be evaluated and revisited in the future. When I read that the that 75 to 135 million dollars was spent (in NYC from EBT) on sugary drinks in one year, I realized that we could track all items purchased with these cards and THAT is some data I would like to get my "teeth" into :)

BTW - this was also discussed on Science Friday today and my public health hero, Walter Willett was a guest :) We must thank Lee Ann for the call that got me away from my studies to turn on the radio - kisses....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know what I, as an EBT receiving person, am doing when I buy a soda with sugar in it? Generally, I'm going to a party. I can't afford to go out with my friends these days. When they go to a new restaurant, I stay home. But when someone throws a party, I can go, and feel a little normal...when I spend $5 of my EBT benefits on a bottle of soda, a bag of chips, and a thing of salsa. I look...normal. Like everyone else. It lets me spend time with people without them knowing how harshly poverty is treating me.

Most of my food is good (tonight's grocery run had seaweed salad, tofu, fresh spinach, fresh plums, dandelion greens, mint, and parsley). It also had a thing of store-brand marshmallows. When you start getting into calorie counts and forced foods, you start taking away the options for people to actually have balanced diets where they learn moderation.

You also start destroying one of the few places where a person in life that's spiraling out of their grasp has a little bit of control - the chance to look at their diet and say, 'I can't afford a movie, or a restaurant, or health care, but EBT benefits mean I can at least have a glass of soda with dinner tonight.'

It is, to be honest, *mean*.

deedeeski said...

I see no value in soda but a lot of value in your comments and perspective. Thank you so much for sharing.

RicN said...

Of course, as you might imagine, the rich believe they have a right to buy what ever they want, though most have exploited the likes of Anonymous for their money. You know what, I'll go with Anonymous.