The way it is most often used is to describe environments - such as one's family or one's community or even country. Let's see if you can figure it out from this sentence.
The United States is obesigenic. In other words, the country is functioning in such a way as to promote obesity. Obesity is promoted by the following:
- the availability of high fat foods
- inappropriate portion sizes
- sugary drinks
- social customs that promote high fat eating (church suppers, work parties - Thanksgiving - just kidding :))
- lack of access to low calorie foods
- unsafe neighborhoods that prohibit physical activity
- jobs that require sitting
- family habits, etc
Do you live, work, play in an obesity causing environment? Are you the model of health and fitness instead - what would be the word for health promoting environments? Salubrious I think...