Monday, August 22, 2011

Another Problem with Gastric Bypass

Readers of my blog know that I am passionately against  surgery or any extreme measures (even diets, pills, patches etc)that are intended to help people lose weight.  I believe that with access to healthy foods and an understanding of what is healthy and how calories impact weight, lifelong changes can be made (without sacrifice or discomfort).

I do not mean to imply that anyone needs to be as disciplined or stubborn as I am with my  eating, but that what and how much we eat IS the issue and temporary or extreme measures do not change this truth.

Some of you may  know that someone very close to me has had a Gastric Bypass so I get an inside scoop every now and again.  

I wish I had the time to follow my thoughts with a literature review (what are the experiences of other persons who have had this surgery, for example) but I do not.

Here is the "other" problem (besides it being an invasive process with a very high side effect profile) with the procedure.  It leaves one with a pocket rather than a 'stomach' for their food.  The person has to eat only ounces at a time HOWEVER, as you know from my volumetrics commentaries - there is not always a direct association between size or volume and energy (cals).  A person with an egg sized stomach can still consume far too many calories than is necessary for them.  
My friend is not on target with her weight loss and her weight loss moderator has suggested the culprit is - SUGAR.  My friend said she has trouble with greasy foods and thus avoids them, but she does not have problems with high fat foods necessarily - ie full fat cheese and meats.  

This surgery will not stop you from wanting foods that are calorically dense - instead learning to cook and eat differently can attend to this issue. 

I mean to say that a small, (or tiny) stomach does not lead directly to lower energy intake.

No comments: