Saturday, August 6, 2011

France

As I was getting ready to meet my friend for our Saturday walk, I listened to a radio show and the topic at the time was the growing rate of obesity in France.  
Though their adult rate of obesity is far lower than the USA, Australia and Mexico, it is almost double what it was ten years ago.  Today it stands at 14%.
France blames its rise of obesity on immigration and the influence of American TV and culture.  I did catch these few things and cannot deny them.

Americans -
always have something in their hands
open the fridge as soon as they walk into their homes
do not have as many home cooked meals or fresh ingredients in their meals, and
are less likely to teach children the value of sit down meals

I would think that if they eat less processed foods there is a good chance that their meals are also less calorically dense.

I do understand their fear of having the same obesity rates and adverse health outcomes as Americans.  They have several strategies ready to implement and we might want to take notice!

I think you may enjoy listening to the story as I did not have the opportunity to hear it all myself.  Just click here and you should be directed to the audio link.  

If you are interested in exploring the obesity (BMI greater than 30)  in other countries, this table at the World Health Organization's website will help you.  It is many pages long, so you would have to click next page at the bottom of the table to see more countries.  Of course, there could be some measurement errors and certain countries may or may not have made the information available.

No comments: