Friday, August 19, 2011

Exercise - the comfort of a PLAN

It has not been that long since I posted my exercise plan with the hopes of swimming 2x a week through August, etc.

The past two weeks were challenging.  I was able to keep things as planned  when I had the day long classes the week before last.  I only had to shift times, not days or actions.

This week I had one all day event that interrupted my running time on Wednesday, but worse - or in addition, the fitness center was only open on Monday and Friday and the pool was closed all week. 

The fall schedule is now posted for the center and the pool and I know my class schedule (though not my "work hours").
First I will explain how I did my work-around this week and then I will share my plan for (oh my gosh)the whole fall.  YIKES.  Can I commit?
Sigh - well - it gives me leverage with my walking buddy.

Oh yes, let us start there.  The real deviance began last weekend. My pal called (before my alarm was due to go off - dang it) to say that she and her son's dog (pet sitting) had been attacked by yellow jackets.  Her hand was hurt and she worried over the dog so we postponed.  It began to rain and rained most of the day.  Instead of an hour long walk, I did an hour of step aerobics (in my living room to a DVD).
Sunday my friend's hand had swollen badly.  She went to Prime Care where she received a shot.  I took a run around my neighborhood because I figured the trail would be too muddy to navigate, but I still ran.

Monday the pool was closed so I cycled about 12 miles and then later did my weight training - in the PM - not AM.
My Tuesday went as planned. Wednesday I had to be somewhere early and did not run first.  I felt bad all day so I decided to run that night - it helped.  I ran Thursday too because the gym was closed.

Today I cycled another 12, and I had company :).  I went to do my weights at 1:30 and that is where I decided that I was going to blog about this tonight.  (oh and since I did not run today I will run tomorrow.  This weekend we will walk on Sunday instead - just so I can end the week as off schedule as I started!)

School is back in session and the younger students are back.  I have been lifting weights at 9:30 am all summer and even during school, I bet that time will be less crowded.  I was NOT intimidated by all the boys/men in the weight room today - as I was one year ago.  Still, it was crowded.

The advice I want to offer you - besides mapping out your weekly exercise routine- is to plan the weight training you will do before you walk in the door. It is far less daunting if you know exactly what machine and or free weights that you will use and in what order.  Just walk in with a mission, do your thing, and get out :)

So the schedule is up and I have just committed myself to continue swimming twice a week.  I made recurring appointments on my Google calendar for weight training Mon and Thurs at 9:30 and swim Monday at 12 and Thursday at 4 (after my class).  I was frustrated last fall/spring because the swim schedule is inconsistent - but with a plan in place, I think I can do this.


HA - this picture is at least 5 years old and at yet another gym!
I will try my running and walking on the other days as has been.  X fingers and welcome Fall Semester.  I am SO thrilled to be in this comfortable place with a general understanding of the expected course work.  It is so much better than a year ago!

No comments: