Sunday, August 14, 2011

Odds and Ends

It would seem that most of the items on my list for this Sunday's O&E ended up being a blog post during my very hectic 'work' week.  I will give you what is left.

I Can't See Anything: Oh my.  I watched a lady trying to back out of a parking space earlier this week, as I was walking to my car.  She had began her endeavor by asking a couple loading/unloading (?)their groceries if she had room to back up.  She pulled back in and back out.  She ran into a white SUV with her white luxury car.  She hit it pretty hard and I sure saw it coming.  She then got out of her car and looked at the SUV bumper and turned to the people who had helped her the first time and said, "I can't see anything.  I don't think I did anything."  I continued walking to my car but I was thinking, "Oh my gosh.  No lady, you CAN"T see anything."  The way she said it was pretty funny too.  She acted like the SUV was at fault for being in the parking space behind her.

Employee Wellness and Benefits:
If you are already healthy a financial incentive from your employer (like lower premiums) can come later, but if you need to change a behavior - i.e. stop smoking, the incentive needs to be immediate, so says, behavioral economics.  You can read about it here

Produce Advice:  I was in the produce aisle at my local grocery store yesterday when a young woman who was shopping with a young man asked me how to tell if a pepper was "good".  I was delighted that the youngster (:)) felt comfortable asking and that she was buying veggies.  YEAH!

Family of Helmet Wearers and then ?  As I walked through my little arboretum park this afternoon, I was passed by what appeared to be a mom and dad with their two children.  All were riding bicycles and wearing helmets!  A few minutes later a young man rode by on his bicycle.  He was also helmeted but I am pretty sure the strap was not fastened.  So um, what's the point?

PA "activity":  One of the student teachers in my class this week gave us an activity.  We were putting together a goal plan for a person who was described to us.  For example, a 60 year old woman who wants to maintain her weight and improve her fitness.  The information we were given about the "client" did not contain a very, very important piece of information.  Can you guess what it is/was?  Okay - time is up... the missing information is - "what the person is currently doing!"


Sexual Abuse: I am quite miffed at myself. I wrote down sexual abuse but nothing else on my notepad.  I cannot for the life of me recall what I meant to say unless it related to a great presentation I saw this week.  If so, I do not have the information to share with you.  Dang.  I can tell you that it rephrased things like - instead of women blowing a whistle if they were being attacked, a man should blow the whistle if he is going to attack someone.  Shifting the responsibility for protection to the one perpetrating the offense.  It was awesome.


No comments: