Thursday, July 21, 2011

Birth Control VS STD Control

Today the Institute of Medicine recommended that birth control (prescription types) be made available without a copay.
I can understand why many people support this.

I do not use prescription birth control - in my whole adult life, I may have used the pill for a week.  I do not like drugs - really.
That being said, I am in no way against birth control.  When I heard this on the news today,  I had a aha moment.

With the exception of condoms, women are fully responsible for the purchase of birth control and if they do not have the money - they must rely on the man to accept wearing a condom or use the rhythm method, to prevent pregnancy.

So this is good news BUT:

 There is a very important point that needs to be made - birth control does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases.  Condoms are not 100% effective for birth control  OR disease prevention, but they are certainly the way to engage in Safer Sex



No comments: