Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Exercise Challenge

I do not talk about the physical activity guidelines very often, but there were released in 2008 and call for no less than 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise five days a week.  More is better and it applies to all adults, even those with disability and those who are over age 65.  
The recommendations for children are higher, 60 minutes every day.
If persons are questioned about their physical activity and they report NO strength training - even if they exercise 5-7 days a week, they are categorized as NOT meeting the PA guidelines.  Cardiovascular exercise (elevating your heart rate) and  muscle conditioning are the two most important aspects of the recommendations.  After which comes balance and core work for preventing falls as we age.  (A reduction or stabilization in the number of falls in persons over age 65 is one of the goals of the National Prevention Strategy).


I am going to tell you what my plan for the next month is with regards to a regular exercise routine.  I will re-evaluate in September and adjust based on the availability of the pool (open swim times) and my teaching and course work schedule.  What is not included in this plan are the many short walks that I take, cycling to and from campus and the ten minute segments of yoga or pilates that I do in the evening (after dinner).  Those are just extra little things, and I do not count them towards my daily or weekly activity goals.


My plan is to run four days a week, swim on two days, lift weights on the swim days (or two other days if there is a conflict - but two days every week [as I already do]) and to walk (1hr with a friend who is less athletic than I) one day and to cycle for fitness one day.  Oh wait!  that is eight days, well - I will figure it out.
It might look like this:
Monday - lift weights and swim laps
Tuesday - run , four miles and adding up to six/eight
Wednesday - run
Thursday - lift weights and swim laps
Friday - run
Saturday - walk with friend and or cycle
Sunday - run


I do a full body weight training session - all muscle groups - low reps heavier weights (and don't give me any excuses about "oh, I don't want to bulk up", because bulking up is HARD people - and it takes hours and hours in the gym)- but I wait at least 48 hours between my workouts so that my muscles can recover and build.  The time after the workout is as important in strength training as the time during the workout.


So what is your plan for the next month??

No comments: