Sunday, July 3, 2011

Odds and Ends

Do Food Addictions Exist:  I do not really think that they do - though there are studies with convincing arguments regarding how the consumption of processed, sweet, fatty, refined grain or grain based desserts impacts certain hormones and the body's response to them.  But I believe that people are more influenced by targeted and merciless marketing and low prices of nutrient poor foods.  I had my moment of doubt or belief 'as it were'  at the grocery store today.  An overweight/obese man was in a motorized sit down shopping cart.  In his basket were bags of sugared donuts and honey buns and on the bottom was a 12 pack of regular mountain dew.  Perhaps it is judgmental, but I thought to myself, "I would bet my last dollar that he has diabetes." It pained me to see what was in his basket. Of course I didn't say anything - but it gives me drive for what I hope to do as a professional.  My mom tells me that I cannot control what other people choose to do with their bodies, and she is right.  At the same time, I can feel angst and despair about what I see happening.  This is why I support legislation that will improve the nutrient content of the foods that are sold in America.

Cycling Group:  I posted a comment on a  Yahoo Groups email to which I subscribe.  It is from the local bicycling advocacy group.  In response to this comment about a July 4th fundraiser, I received an invitation to join a group of cyclists on a ride.  Of course, I told the person that contacted me that I was not really a cyclist and explained that I had no technical gear, no cycling clothes and had to stand up to pedal up hills.  The group, calling themselves the Taters, said I would be perfect for them and that I would do fine.  They assured me that no one ever gets left behind and that they were a laid back group.  They were very friendly, as group emails started to reach me when I was added to their list.  I have been a member of running groups but never a cycling one.  Of course, my luck with crashes and getting lost is a motivator to join one.  And so I did just that on Saturday.  The seven of us rode almost 15 miles, a little slower than I expected and indeed they were casual.  They gave me some good riding pointers and were very welcoming.  I will join them again.  There is certainly safety in riding with a group - cars are less aggressive - for one things. We did ride mostly on the greenways  - some of which I had not found on my own. We covered a lot of geography on that 14 miles!  Here was my thought though.  I have been cycling a little more recently and running a little less.  I tend to over run when I can run, and thus get RRIs (running related injury) but it is not the fault of the sport as much as it is mine for not listening to my body.  Anyways - my thought yesterday was - there is a lot less risk of overuse injury in cycling but a much higher risk of death.

Breast Cancer Drug: Recall that best selling drugs are not always the most effective ones.  Avastin is the best selling cancer drug for both on label (and marketable) and off label uses.  The FDA just suspended its on label use for breast cancer.  This means it can still be used to treat many cancers and whatever a doctor decides to prescribe it for, but insurance companies may not cover it for breast cancer.  Also the drug maker cannot advertise it as a breast cancer drug.  The drug has been linked to serious side effects and little improvement with regard to this specific cancer.

Letter from Dr. Brownell re: FOP Labeling:  Please see the attached.  Kelly  Brownell (Yale Rudd Center for Food Policy) is in favor of front of pack labeling, but against the industry taking control of it.  I have mentioned this recently, but here is a letter that he has published in the June 23 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

Australia's Anti Tobacco Strategy:  British American and Philip Morris are suing the Australian government which plans to have all cigarettes come in plain olive wrappers in 2012.  The government chose that color because smokers in focus groups found it the most unattractive.  Is that not superb!

Oreo Fudge Creams: I saw a commercial on my lap top for these cookies, so I looked up the nutrition content.  The serving size is in grams not number of cookies. How many people will be able to figure out what 35 grams of these cookies are?  That serving size will get you get between 170 and 180 cals depending on the flavor and 16- 18 g of sugar.  There are 9 servings in the package, so I guess you could pour out the cookies and put them into groups of nine and then know how many cookies = 170 calories.  For goodness sakes!  Of course, there is room in most diets for a cookie or two, but obscuring or masking  the nutritional information is unacceptable.

No comments: