Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Hidden Message

I was telling my dinner companion about the Dietary Guidelines recommendation that we avoid solid fats and added sugars.  This was discussed in a past blog post here.  I was telling her because I asked the server about the fresh vegetables.  The medley was awesome, all nutrient dense non starchy produce.  I told him that it sounded great and I would like to have this side with my dinner. Steamed.  Then I clarified, "steamed, without oil, fat or butter".  He said, "Well, they are steamed and they are in the steaming tray for easy serving, but they are sitting in butter."  
REALLY!
People take home message:  You should ask your servers if the steamed veggies have fat added to them.

 I then tell my friend that the DGAs say we should increase the amount of fruits and vegetables in our diet but that we should eat them without adding certain things.  The DGA has a group of items that we should "limit", like salt, solid fats, starches etc.  
The things to limit are abbreviated as SoFAS  Oh my gosh - how did I miss that... sofas!  HA :) The hidden message or the twofer message, avoid fatty foods and sedentary behavior :)

No comments: