Tuesday, July 5, 2011

There Are Bad Foods - and we can name 'em

Things happen fast and all at once it seems.  So much so that I cannot keep track of where I summarized articles and where I only mentioned them.  I think that I only commented on the research I am about to reference on my Facebook page.  I did read the results and summarize them for my literature review table - some of you will actually know what that is - and the study reference is:

“Changes in Diet and Lifestyle and Long-Term Weight Gain in Women and Men,” Dariush Mozaffarian, Tao Hao, Eric B. Rimm, Walter C. Willett, Frank B. Hu, NEJM, June 23, 2011.  

Anyways, today I see that someone else has summarized the results of this Harvard School of Public Health affiliated research.  And yes Walter Willett is one of the lead investigators.  The summary is on the HSPH website so I am including an excerpt that I feel is most helpful and supplying a link for you to read the news story.  That story also has a link to the research publication which is in the same NEJM issue that has the Kelly Brownell  letter.  Small world.  Here is what I feel the most important thing for you to know from the work of these scientists, an exceprt:

"The most useful dietary metrics for preventing long-term weight gain appeared to be:
  • Focus on improving carbohydrate quality by eating less liquid sugars (e.g. soda) and other sweets, as well as fewer starches (e.g. potatoes) and refined grains (e.g. white bread, white rice, breakfast cereals low in fiber, other refined carbohydrates).
  • Focus on eating more minimally processed foods (e.g. fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, yogurt) and fewer highly processed foods (e.g. white breads, processed meats, sugary beverages).
Such a more healthful dietary pattern could influence long-term weight gain in many ways, including, for example, through biologic effects such as changing hunger, insulin levels, or satiety, or by improving eating behaviors related to average portion sizes and patterns of foods and beverages consumed.
“These findings underscore the importance of making wise food choices in preventing weight gain and obesity,” said Frank Hu, professor of nutrition and epidemiology at HSPH and senior author of the paper. “The idea that there are no ‘good’ or ‘bad’ foods is a myth that needs to be debunked.
The results also showed that changes in physical activity and TV-viewing influenced changes in weight. Also, those who slept 6-8 hours a night gained less weight than those who slept less than 6 or more than 8 hours."

No comments: