Friday, July 8, 2011

Every BLT Matters

I am surrounded by clever people and this blog post was inspired by one of them.  I have from time to time mentioned my sister who is a maintenance, life time member of Weight Watchers.  This sister has enlightened me on the Weight Watchers program of today - the smart program that encourages not diets, but forever choices in eating that enable people to maintain weights that are healthy - while consuming the right portions of the right foods, cooked in delicious, volumizing ways.  All the things that I say are important are in the program and because it absolutely is not a short term strategy to lose a few pounds or a lot for that matter, I fully endorse it.

But I don't think I ever mentioned that my sister has gone to weight watchers with her good friend and neighbor.   I am also incredibly fond of this neighbor.  Today I was speaking to my sister, who bragged about her friends progress - more steady now than it has been at times over the years.  Her friend has a new term or saying that she uses when she buckles down and tracks her calories. [The National Weight Control Registry shows that persons who keep track of their calories while losing weight and who monitor them later, are much more successful than those who do not do so.]  Our dear friend Micky uses the  BLT mantra when she gets serious.  That means she keeps track of every single Bite, Lick and Taste.  The thing is, she is 100% correct because it IS those BLTs that add up into hundreds of calories and it only takes 50 more a day to put on the pounds.

Now you know why I often say I am not sure my recipes are okay until the very end - I do not sample my  cooking (well, with very rare exceptions) while it is in progress.

Bottom Line:  Calories count and calories live in every bite, lick and taste of foods AND beverages.

No comments: