Monday, July 18, 2011

Patient Choice?

My mother does not know how to post comments on the blog website because I have not shown her yet.  Today she told me something about a recent blog post that would have made a good comment - so I will share it with you myself.

My mother was referring to the post about my friend who had heart surgery and was then served a hospital breakfast which included bacon.  Mom is right.  Patients are often given a menu from which to select an entree and sides, beverage, dessert etc.  Her point being that my friend must of chosen the bacon himself.

She may be completely correct or partially correct.  I did work in a hospital for seven years and most patients do get a menu to select from but there are several menus.  For instance, there are special options for people with high blood pressure, with diabetes, and with heart disease.  My friend should have gotten the "heart prudent" menu and bacon should not have been on it.  According to the Dietary Guidelines, bacon should not be on any of the menus.  

Lastly, I think my friend might not have chosen that first meal because he was still waking up from the anesthesia. When I visited him a few days later, he had ordered a salad with turkey breast and some vegetables.  It had some kind of processed yellow cheese as well. It looked just dreadful.

Still, it was a very good call on my Mom's part - and sadly, most people do not know what the DGAs recommend as far as foods to limit and foods to increase (i.e. fruits and vegetables, whole grains, good fats). 

I may be in for a busy week - but do not think I have forgotten you in my absence.  I hope to talk about the most recent report from the Trust for America's Health - F as in Fat, soon.

No comments: