Friday, July 15, 2011

Who DOES listen to the guidelines?

Some one that I care about is in the hospital recuperating from heart surgery.  In his own words, this is why he had the surgery:
"The surgery is to repair my mitral valve which is leaking severely and stressing my heart.  The surgery is long and requires being on a heart-lung machine. Mitral valve prolapse was one of the underlying conditions contributing to"    
... his brothers sudden death from arrhythmia (my dad's heart attack death was also related to an unstable arrhythmia).  My friend also told us that his arteries were clean and clear and this allowed for a laproscopic surgery which is less invasive though heart surgery is always invasive.  
The surgery is over and I have followed my friends progress on line and I visited him today. 
He let us know what his first meal was - a "lovely" tray of scrambled eggs, bacon, oatmeal, fruit, biscuit and bagel with juice and milk. 
We (you and I ) recently reviewed the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and I recall mentioning that there  was no harm in eggs for most persons, and this is true, but BACON!!  The man just had heart surgery!  Here is the paragraph from the DGA 2010 -

In addition to being a major contributor of solid fats, moderate evidence suggests an association between the increased intake of processed meats (e.g., franks, sausage, and bacon) and increased risk of colorectal cancer and cardiovascular disease.

I told my friend to get out of there as soon as possible because his arteries were NOT going to stay clear under those conditions.

No comments: