Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Calories Count so Post 'Em

I cannot believe that this one almost past me by unawares! The FDA is expanding the requirements on posting calorie counts and other nutritional information regarding the foods that we are sold. The industries that are also coming under the policy include but probably are not limited to, airlines, convenient stores and movie theatres.

Of course I am 100% in favor of full disclosure anywhere we can get it.

There is some preliminary reporting on the effects of these measures and the change in consumption seems minimal. I continue to believe in this tool, however, the missing piece is education. A person isn't going to pay attention to the information or use it to make a choice if they do not know why it matters to them.

Not to worry - I am doing every thing I can to become the expert that will make the education piece part of the big picture.

No comments: