Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Lifestyle Vision Exams

I wrote my notes for this post while at the social security office. I had downloaded and completed the form for a replacement card because I need my SS card to get my driver's license. I need the DL to get the registration and tag, and I need those to establish my NC residency. (of COURSE, I went to the registration place first and the DL place second so I drove all over town for nothing. The registration lady was kind enough to let me know I was looking at more than 200 dollars in fees when I did have my ducks in a row and next year, I would be required to have the car inspected and to pay property tax!) I have to have NC auto insurance before I can get the rest rolling. I did switch the insurance anyways. The SS lady said it would be two weeks for the card. My Mom found my original card at her house and is mailing it to me. Did I mention that yesterday one of the professors said I needed to establish residency weeks ago? Yeah, it was that kind of day. Tomorrow night I am planning to take a Yoga class with my best buddy and I need her and it more than ever.... because that voice in my head keeps wanting to whisper..."mistake" and that won't be productive at all so I am refusing to give it permission to speak to me! :)

Health Note:
Reporter Melinda Beck described a phenomena that she said could affect the 80 % of us who are spending three or more hours a day looking at a computer screen. It isn't just desk tops or laptops but our smart phones and hand held video games as well. Because we ask our eyes to adjust to these varying distances and fonts or resolutions, some optometrists suggest that people ask to have a vision exam at various distance levels as well.
There are ways to address poor vision with different lenses - bifocals, trifocals, progressives, computer glasses - contacts and even surgery. My favorite part of the article was the statement that some people who see better near than far or near sighted people, like me, do not have a worsening as quickly and thus should do NOTHING just yet. The other point which caught my attention was that we might also let our doctor know what different activities we engage in as they can tax our eyes differently - for example, hunting, fishing, running, needlepoint, golf - etc.

No comments: