Friday, August 13, 2010

Endorphins are Involuntary

Dateline - UNCG, Bryan School of Business - No, I didn't change my major! I am in the auditorium with a couple hundred other "students" waiting for the teaching assistant training to start. The guy next to me was talking on the phone and told whomever that we were going to be told not to sleep with our students, ha ha. So I will be in this seminar all the day, with an hour lunch break. I received notice from the Public Health Education Department to come by and get a key to my "office". I wonder how little it will be. Anyways, this morning while I was out running, I thought about the health note for today. I might as well write it now as the class still has not begun.

Health note of the day:

A friend of mine was bemoaning her lack of interest in exercising. She does that often. She tells me so that I will remind her that she likes it afterwards and that the benefit is really worth the trouble. So we had that conversation yesterday and then she ran on the treadmill and reported to me that she felt awesome and to please remind her of that next time. So here is the thing about exercise and endorphins. You cannot prevent them from being released from your receptors once you trigger them. In other words you feel better whether you want to or not. Think about other neurological processes. If you touch a hot stove and do not want to scream or be burnt, you still are and you still will. You cannot control the physiological, neurological response. So when I tell you to fake it until you make it I MEAN it. You go through the motions like my friend forces herself to, and you still get the positive benefit. Now if you are really a crab apple and keep telling yourself that you hate exercise, that will dampen the effect for sure - mind over matter I suppose, so STOP it.


Look at me. I am 45 years old and for the first time ever, I rode my bicycle to school! I told myself that I could ride this new (used)bike and that I would not fall off and that I would be happy to be doing it - it all became true.

Okay, teacher is at the podium - take good care.



AND my video might actually have uploaded! (or not - my tech guy said I may have to do my uploads from somewhere besides home!)



No comments: