Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Flu Shots! Flu Shots! get 'em here, get 'em, hot, get 'em now

Knowing I would be out and about for my Yoga class this evening, I jotted my notes for this post while waiting for assistance at Time Warner Cable - yeah, that is still unresolved. The point I make is that I am a consummate multitasker. (yoga was nice - haven't taken a class in years)

Today I have an example of two issues intercepting nicely, except the interception is more disconcerting than nice.

Without meaning to discourage anyone from getting a flu shot, I have to point out that there is a market incentive to your getting one. Last year I remarked about the promotion (urgent need for protection) and restriction (but we are backlogged so only these certain people can have one) of flu and H1N1 vaccines. This was followed by the "we have shots and will come to your office" promos because they could not get rid of them once the full orders came through. The vaccines have short shelf lives and have to be discarded.

This year, recently, I noted that pharmacies and / or drug stores were bemoaning their customers apparent good health as they noted losses of revenue. The sales of flu and cold medicine were down!


Today I share that the big D's are ordering up flu shots and delivering them early. They are hiring and training more pharmacists to administer the shots and are even selling gift cards that promote flu shots. They are doing this to increase sales, and they hope that when you go in for the shot you will buy some of their new products, like fresh food. CRAZY :)

No comments: