Sunday, August 8, 2010

Odds and Ends

Dateline: Savannah, GA. Boo - I am tired. The day started at Mom's when I overflowed her toilet. Then SHE was cleaning the water up with towels while I was standing there saying, "MOM. Stop. I will do it." To which she said, "I am just helping." "Mom - stop. You are 80 years old." actually she is 82 but who is counting. And she said, "So, I am 80, I am not dead." Ah, Mom's say the darndest things. Then I ran nine miles in muggy muggy mugginess that turned into rain. Still, I set off to begin the doctorate journey at about 12:22. It went fairly well until a traffic jam on I95 in Georgia, then a detour off the interstate and finally the hotel at 7:15. Drinking a beer now. But have three health notes for the week's end.

Cholesterol and Youth - The results of a twenty year study indicate that having higher than normal cholesterol as a child or young adult significantly increases the risk for heart disease as a middle aged adult. The take home message was that the condition needs to be addressed. I was heartened to see that the lead investigator recommended diet and exercise as the ONLY option for our children due to the absence of evidence that using statin therapy for this age group for what would turn into decades is a safe thing to do. My goal of course, is to prevent the condition to begin with by addressing the causes of childhood obesity.

Bob Evans - My sister reports that they have healthy options! She said that she has eaten there twice in the past year and was very pleasantly pleased and surprised. Her last meal was grilled chicken with steamed brocolli. SHe remarked that her food was not greasy or slick and that her brocolli did NOT come buttered. YEAH>

Vending Machine Warning - My awesome friend, I choose to only have AWESOME friends- called me today and left a message about a vending machine she came across at an automotive shop. The machine was of course the usual container of soda and sweet/salty snacks. The shop owner had put a few notes on the machine. One of these absolved the establishment of any monetary obligations. IN other words, if you lost your dollar it wasn't their problem. Under that note was another. It said, "Use at your own risk." Or something similar. At your own risk INDEED.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am the "awesome" friend (thanks, Dee!). And to add more to the soda/snack machine story ... one older lady sitting in the waiting area was determined to have a soda. The machine kept taking her money, and she never got that soda. How appropriate was that!! Lee Ann