Thursday, August 12, 2010

Not a Knee Solution

OK - got some things accomplished today - like a haircut and a bicycle purchase, oh and finished getting my apartment in order. I may attach the video, but apparently Timewarner Roadrunner is the SLOWEST ever in uploading stuff. I apologize for ever complaining about Verizon. So, my bike is awesome! I have a real bike now with hand breaks and GEARS! I rode it to campus, without falling off, and it took less than 15 minutes. I have a daylong seminar tomorrow and the plan is to ride to school. I still have to pack my lunch and get up super early to run so let us get to that knee thing.

I have several running friend who use a band under their knee (usually just one, though I do know a woman who uses two) while they run. It is called a patella band and is something that squeezes the area to prevent movement. My friends know that I do not like the bands, but understand why they where them. I learned a little more about them just recently as a WSJ article referenced them. The band was created by a doctor who no longer holds the patent on the device. Thus, there are several brands a person can buy. The point made in the article and that I wish to iterate is that the bands do NOT correct the problem and if you have pain, you have a problem. The underlying condition should be addressed by an orthopedist. I get that runners - run- I just hope that runners can be smart too.

sorry the video didn't upload - darn internet

No comments: