Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ethics

Wow - It is hard not to be frustrated with the day (month) that I have had. I know though that others have had much more trying days than I and I know too that this will pass and someday seem funny. I remember also that when I was a practicing social worker, people would tell me that they felt bad describing their issues because others were far worse off, I would tell them that this wasn't about other people it was about them and they COULD vent about their world. (there were some people however, that drove me to quit social work because they would ONLY complain and never change)
So - let me just say - my bicycle broke on the way to class. I had to drive my car instead and the parking deck was full so I had to find street parking and move my car during class so it would not be towed. I brought my bike to be fixed and am getting a basked attached. It should be ready tomorrow - but first I will have to drive to school again.

I went by the IT lab to get three things quickly fixed on this old laptop and they did not solve any of them. I went to Best Buy to get my replacement laptop for the new one and paid 180 dollars extra and they still would not transfer my data for me. I am trying to do it myself now and UGH - I just need to be studying not doing these mundane - "oh life happens" things.

Class was okay today - a little slow. But a topic which comes up in health education often is whether or not we should try to force change or coerce or manipulate change so that people do what is better for them. I am of the school - and it seems I am NOT among the majority in academia- that YES!! YES we should use strategies such as policy, to enact change and sometimes I think it is unethical NOT to.

But that is all I have time for today, the other lap top needs my attention..

No comments: