Friday, August 27, 2010

Greenway Observations

I ventured out on my own this morning to explore the trails and greenways in my new home town. I know that I can find new places that I love and driving to my old NC town is not really the best use of my time, though I will continue to do it on Sundays.

Anyways, there are many trails in the area, mostly paved but off road as well. If you enter at the right spot you can run or walk or bicycle for well over ten miles.

Today I started in a place called Country Park but ran through to the Guilford County Military National Park and even onto what is called the Atlantic Yadkin Greenway. But I did not trust myself to run off the pavement and I back tracked a little because I wasn't sure what looped and what didn't. I found out at the end, when I went into a park office, that the area where I parked also was a big loop, 1.6 miles that went around a lake and into the woods. Tomorrow a friend is coming over and we will explore more. I would like to try the Bicentennial Gardens.

After my run, it was reading reading reading.

I wanted to point out a few things from my morning adventure. The park office reeked so badly of cigarette smoke I almost gagged. On the trail a dog on a leash came close to tackling me, but that really isn't any one's fault. I saw a person walking with weights in their hands and I still want to do some kind of "point of purchase" communication to alert them of the danger. Oh, and I saw a lady walking wearing those shoes that are advertised (falsely according to a ACSM report) to tone you up or burn more calories etc. Though it is a silly waste of money on the surface, if it means that person is going to walk, which WILL help them, then let 'em wear the shoes, right!

Okay, back to my studies....

No comments: