Sunday, August 22, 2010

Odds and Ends

Sexual Health- I have been holding on to this thought, wondering if I should make it a full blog post or just and O&E. You see where it ended up, but that should not lessen its importance. Sexual activity and maturity is individualized but it is also very much a matter of the culture into which one is born and raised. I am most familiar with Western culture and our youth are generally not ready for the intricacies of sex until they are over age 16. Really I want to say over the age of 21, but maybe it can be thought of in degrees. I bring this up to express my angst at a display found at a retailer whose name is The Children's Place. Children are not ready for sex. If children are not ready for sex, they are not ready for appearing sexy. So this retailer should be shamed for selling jeans referred to as Sexy Boot and described as low rise, slim in the hip and thigh, etc. I saw this in a WSJ article.

Domestic Violence- DV is another issue that you may not expect to see in this health blog but it IS a public health issue. I am concerned by the USAs number one pop single which has been the number one from just about the time it was released. The song is recorded by rapster Eminen and pop vocalist Rhianna. The song and the video depict domestic violence. I am not sure what disturbs me the most, the fact that so many people love the song, (even I like it - at least Rhianna's voice is so beautiful), or what the song seems to be saying. I have listened intently and it seems like the couple both act aggressively towards each other and the male is saying that he wants to stop but he cannot. Unfortunately, Rhianna's refrain is "I love the way it hurts." The song is important because our youth must be experiencing these things in their relationships and it means we have some health promotion and education to conduct.

Insane Workout - I believe that was the title of the program being advertised and sold on some channel over the weekend. It was a series of DVDs that guide a person through some hard core cardiovascular workouts. There were a couple of people at my last gym who took the calisthenics to whole new levels. I can't imagine what a persons goal is in that regard.

Odors - When I went to Yoga last week I brought my own mat that had been in my closet at this new apartment. I told my friend that I got in the car to come over and wondered why the air condition blowing smelled like stale smoke or some other foul odor. When I got to the Y I realized that it was the mat that smelled. It reeked like my house. I was devastated as that meant that my clothes and my body also did. My friend advised that I put cups of vinegar around the house. I did. I also bemoaned my fate on Face Book and received additional ideas. Some that I have tried include baking soda (in a spray bottle with water), coffee grounds, fabric softener sheets. Of course, my windows have been open since I moved in.

Game On - Classes begin for me tomorrow. I have had some readings already and my assistantship work has begun, but it is official tomorrow. I will be helping with an epidemiology class and will be taking a class about understanding and evaluating research - YAY! and also about applying for grants. I want you to know that my point for going to graduate school is not to get a degree. It is to make a difference. The classes that I will take and the process I engage in, will allow me to create an intervention that I hope will move us in the right direction towards saving our children.

Football - Yes it is time for my favorite sport - :)

No comments: